Tuesday, 13 July 2010

Beginning

I think I've been intrigued by the idea of online dating ever since I first heard of it. Several years ago, back when it still seemed to be regarded as unusual, I joined a couple of online dating sites and went a variety of dates as a result. Not all of them were roaring success stories (there wouldn't be so much variety in that!) but I came away with fond memories of the overall experience.

As it turned out, I met and got to know a wonderful woman in the real world during the latter part of that time. I left the dating sites and embarked upon a relationship with her - a relationship which lasted many years but unfortunately did not stay wonderful forever after. With great pain and sadness the relationship came to an end earlier this year.

I know that I won't be ready for a new relationship any time soon, but I want to believe that it will happen again at some point in the future. I'm warming to the idea of trying online dating again as part of that future. It seems to have evolved a great deal in my absence too! No longer is it the domain of the furtive few - now it is very much in the mainstream.

Hence one of my recent pasttimes has been reading about today's world of online dating. Last month, while wandering the internet immersing myself in such material, I stumbled across a blog of one woman's adventures in that world. I found it to be fascinating reading - her witty and engaging writing brought her tales to life and I read post after post. Then I started to read other blogs linked to hers - what a great way to find out what it's really like out there in 2010! I feel slightly addicted at the moment but in an enjoyable way.

As I started to realise that these bloggers have a great sense of community and friendship between them, I warmed to the idea of being more involved than just reading anonymously - giving back some stories of my own. I started to consider writing my own blog. However, I knew that I wasn't ready to write about anything too current just yet. Then reading another blog gave me an idea - why not start off writing about the past and go from there? Thus I decided that I would write about my online adventures back in the olden days - a little piece of history from an earlier era. One day I hope to be out there again to experience first-hand how much things have changed!

2 comments:

  1. Do it! I want to hear! And yes, it's amazing the kind of community that quickly develops through blogging. It's great to read about everyone's adventures and discover that all this crap you thought was just happening to you is actually very common! Now get writing Mr. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the encouragement - I really appreciate it! I think I'll give it a try - I'm not yet sure what I'll do after I "run out of past history" but then that may take a while so I probably don't need to know yet!

    ReplyDelete