Thursday, 14 July 2011

No News Is Good News

Wow - three months since my last post? Time just goes faster and faster! I never wanted to be someone who stopped blogging completely without signing off somehow. With that in mind, I guess I'm saying that this isn't my last post either.

I still think of my blog as a dating blog. More specifically, I think of it primarily as a wacky-dating-dramas blog. For a while now I've been short of blog posts because I haven't been having wacky dating dramas. It's now nearly six months since my first date with LB and I'm very happy be with her. Somehow we've managed to avoid the kinds of events which make for good drama-dating-blogging:

1) I haven't gradually stopped contacting her in the hope that she'll disappear;

2) She hasn't decided that texting her friends is more interesting than talking with me;

3) I haven't gone out and got drunk at a bar and kissed/slept with someone else (being very unlikely to do this is one useful side benefit of not drinking alcohol - and it comes for free!);

4) She hasn't pretended to be pregnant so I can Feel The Fear;

5) I haven't got someone else pregnant, agreed to quickly marry them and then left it to her to find out via Google (this may be the most outrageous break-up story I've seen in a blog - can anyone top it? I hope not!)


I was going to follow that list with five reasons why we may have avoided those dramas - things like honesty, integrity, thoughtfulness... but now that I think about it, I wonder if all of those components could be covered by one word: respect. Maybe by just setting out to treat someone with respect, a lot of other things fall into place. And maybe it's the common thing missing from the five dating-drama examples above.

Oh, but I still give some credit to luck too. I was just about to sign up for online dating when I asked out LB. I'd told some people at work including one woman who had been trying out online dating herself without much reward. A month or so later she asked me if I was online dating yet and I replied that I was "dating dating." Her (jovial) response: "How dare you?!" She had a point: I'd expected to go on some bad dates before graduating to a good one, but instead I lucked out first time.


P.S. My stats page had dropped to 3 or 4 hits per day, as befits a blog which is not being written, but last month suddenly shot up to 50-100 hits per day and has stayed there. If any of you are real people rather than botnets, you're welcome to say hi!

11 comments:

  1. So glad that things are going well for you! You so deserve it. But I must say that I miss your writing. Could you change the blog to a different topic - not dating/relationships, but just general life? I'd love to keep up with what's new with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay! this post makes me happy. happy that you're happy, and happy that you're here telling us about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you all for reading and commenting despite my lack of recent blogging!

    Just Sayin: Yes, my blog pulse has been faint for a while but is still just about beating!

    simplysolo: Thank you, that's very nice of you to say - I've wondered about doing that but haven't really been inspired to write about anything else so far, but I'll see what happens.

    Larissa: Thank you - I'm happy to have this tale to tell!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear things are still going well with LB and yourself. I was just wondering the other day what had happened to the pair of you as we hadn't had any updates, so good to hear things are dandy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on being in a stable, healthy relationship. That sounds like quite a novel concept...

    ReplyDelete
  6. whydidn'tshefancyme: Thank you; we've wondered about you too - no blog post for five months? Hope things are going well for you too.

    Andrew: Thanks - novel or not, it certainly feels like a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. lifebeginsat30ty19 July 2011 at 06:08

    Respect? May-be. But also because you're super ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks - you're pretty super yourself :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well....I'm no robot...but I do stop by from time to time when a new post goes up ;) And how dare you is right lol xoxo to you both

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good to see you again - I hope things are going well for you too.

    ReplyDelete