Thursday, 10 March 2011

Stylish Blogger Award

Just Saying has very kindly nominated me for the Stylish Blogger Award - thank you very much!























Now about this award; being a recipient of the Stylish Blogger Award is a great exercise in fun and mutual back-scratching. Of course, as with any of these blog awards, there are rules. The “rules” that come along with this award designation are (1) I must divulge seven things about myself, and then (2) pay the Stylish Blogger Award forward to about seven other blogs.


7 random things about me:

1. I can count on one hand the number of cups of tea and coffee I've consumed in my life.

2. For its first couple of hours of existence, my blog was called "Matt79's Blog" - then I realised that I had to be able to come up with a name less lame than that.

3. At different times in the past I've been MVP on a chess team, a pool team and a bowling team - although I'm not too great at bowling any more!

4. I have a great memory for dates and numbers (I used to memorise credit card numbers as a party trick) but really struggle with recalling visual details like colours - I'm not sure what colour my own front door is!

5. I have a paranoid feeling that when I start regularly buying a specific food product it often gets discontinued soon afterwards. I must have unusual tastes - that would also explain why my favourite restaurant shut down after a string of terrible reviews.

6. Once when I was a kid and going on an international flight I packed a metal cap gun in my checked luggage. This turned out to be unwise.

7. In 2008 I got a bit carried away with going to the cinema: I saw 123 movies that year, including 33 in one month - and 8 in one day.


I'm going to pass this award on to seven blogs which I've never previously nominated or been nominated by:

today is my birthday!

This One Time on Match.com

Tales from the Tower

Lost Looking For Fish

Inside The Nice Guy

From the head of The Danaconda

After I Quit My Day Job

10 comments:

  1. Don't you just love it when you see on your dashboard that someone you follow has posted?

    Don't you extra love it when you discover that not only are you mentioned in said post but that you have been given an award?!

    Don't you hate it when the person giving award has written really good answers and you wonder what you could write to seem even half as interesting?! I suppose I could mention my double-jointed trick...

    Thanks Matt79! I'll be sure to look at the other six too!

    Rapunzel (*Tales from the Tower*) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. FAN-TAS-TIC. Thank you! I am now going to use the next 24 hours to try ton convince Bonnie to tell everyone seven things about herself. Wish me luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Normally these "7 question" things are lame. i.e. "omg I totally like pizza!" But I knew yours would be interesting.

    And you didn't disappoint!

    I, too, am a memorizer. I know all my cards, numbers, bank accounts, etc. by heart. Why can't I remember my mom's birthday then?

    Weird.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rapunzel: You're welcome - I'm sure you'll have some great answers! Sometimes we get so used to our own quirks that we forget that others might find them interesting (that's some of my thinking behind my answers anyway!)

    Lizzie: You're welcome and good luck - maybe you can each contribute some facts but leave people to guess which ones belong to whom!

    Caleb: Interesting that we have that in common. How are you with mental arithmetic? Maybe we should hit Vegas. My first bet: you do know your mom's birthday really and you're just downplaying yourself like Bruce Willis in Unbreakable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice try, but I truly forget every year. November something. If I really concentrated I could remember it, but I swear each year it blurs. Must be something subconscious?

    I'm awesome. Literally. Due to a tax mishap in 2009 I owe the government 2400ish bucks. By comparing the 2 jobs I worked that year, the amount deducted, the amount owed, and my tax brackets, I deduced that the difference that I owed was from an error in the amount I was taxed at my second job. I got all this in about 1.5 seconds.

    That didn't explain it very well. Just put me down as "good at mental arithmetic" and forget my lame story.

    Sorrs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that sounds awesome rather than lame - but then I used to spend time teaching myself mental arithmetic tricks when I got bored in maths lessons, so maybe I'm not a good judge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Matt, my fellow name-sake, I don't know what to (appropriately) say. Thanks for the Nom. I feel so unprepared, no speech at hand just mumbling at the mic.

    K, that may be a bit much. But seriously though much much appreciation. This will, without a doubt, be paid forward.

    To tie into your #7, I once spent a summer trying to rent as many movies as I could. In about 4 months I had rented about 125 movies, one weekend I had watched 12 from Friday to Sunday night.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're welcome, and good work with the movies - I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who does these kinds of things!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Eight movies in one day?!! How is that even possible? LOL! That leaves just about 8 hours to sleep. The rest of the day is spent watching movies. I can't do more than two in a day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It took some planning, some relatively short running times (thank you Cloverfield!) and a bag packed full of food and drink! Oh, and two multiplex cinemas within a mile of each other!

    ReplyDelete