Tuesday, 22 February 2011

Blog Award

Massive thanks to Pretty Young Thing for passing the following blog award on to me - I'm flattered! Check out her fabulous blog Daterview if you haven't already - great stories including making the most of being ill in hospital by chatting up a good-looking member of staff and subsequently Facebooking him! Plus she has one of the coolest blogger profile pictures I've seen - that's what I call eye-catching lipstick. Thank you for the award!
















This award doesn't come for free though - it comes with a ten-question survey as follows:


1. If you blog anonymously, are you happy about doing this? If you aren't anonymous, do you wish that you had started out anonymously, so you could be anonymous now?

I guess my blog is somewhat anonymous, but my name really is Matt and I really was born in 1979, so I'm not trying to disguise myself. If I were starting a blog now I might actually be less anonymous but I was in a different frame of mind last summer and I've just stuck with the habit since then.


2. Describe an incident that shows your stubborn side.

I have this thing about not wanting to let food go to waste and at times I've taken it too far. I remember one particular incident a few years back - I'd ordered way too much at a restaurant but carried on eating after hitting the point of being uncomfortably full for about half an hour. My insides took a while to forgive me for that one.


3.What do you see when you really look into the mirror?

Depends on the time of day - in the mornings I'm particularly likely to see someone with crazy hair, although this can happen at any time and lead me to wonder "Wow - when did I last look in the mirror before this?"


4. What is your favorite cold summer drink?

Water. I actually get told that I drink too much water. When I was in hospital last year I had this conversation with a doctor:

Me: How much water should I be drinking at the moment?
Doctor: As much as you want - it'll all help.
Me: OK, but I thought there might be like a maximum amount?
Doctor: No, go ahead and drink as much as you like.
Me: 'Cause like a few years ago I used to drink about six litres (13 US pints) per day and I just wondered-
Doctor: SIX LITRES? No, that's too much, you shouldn't do that.
Me (thinking): But you just said...


5. When you take time for yourself, what do you do?

In recent months one answer has to be: read blogs! I think we're talking many hundreds of hours by now. Also go to the gym, see friends, watch films, eat (see Q2), drink water (see Q4)...


6. Is there something you still want to accomplish in your life?

Generally I'm not someone who focuses a lot on future goals - I tend to think more about how I'd like to spend the present time.


7. When you attended school, were you the class clown, the overachiever, the shy person, or always ditching?

I was an academic overachiever but wasn't very involved in other school activities. Towards the end I started ditching more but to be honest I think they let me get away with it as long as my test scores stayed high.


8. If you closed your eyes and wanted to visualize a very poignant moment in your life, what would you see?

Some years ago I was in a car crash which for a moment I thought might be Game Over - I was incredibly lucky to walk away and in some ways I've looked at things differently ever since.


9. Is it easy for you to share your true self in your blog, or are you more comfortable writing posts about other people and events?

I'm quite aware that I've only shared certain areas of my life on here - I started the blog to give back some dating stories after reading so many and I've mainly thought of the blog as being about dating rather than about me as a whole.


10. If you had a choice to sit down and read a book or talk on the phone, which would you do and why?

At the moment I don't spend much time doing either, but I guess I spend more time on the phone so I'll go with that.



The next instruction is to pass this award on to bloggers you think are fantastic. I've only just realised that it doesn't specifically say how many bloggers to nominate, but previous recipients seem to be going with three so I'll follow suit:


Lifebeginsat30ty at Life Begins at 30ty - she was also top of my shout-out list the first time I received a blog award - at that time, as well as having a very engaging past-present-shifting blog, she had very kindly commented on more than two-thirds of my posts. Her blog has remained awesome and, of course, the last few weeks have given me even more inclination to list her first again...

Caleb at The Blog Experiment - Caleb and I first met as Good Cop Bad Cop commenters on the blog which started my whole blogosphere journey. He's full of wit and charisma and brains too - watch out world!

Pupa at just like your mama used to make it - she has recently started her blog but got hooked on some of the same dating blogs as I did last year and has been inspired to write exactly the kind of blog which grabbed us both - lots of well-written online dating posts. Hopefully there are lots more to come!


I could happily nominate lots more great blogs, including the other nine from my first award - most are still going and I hope that the others are coming back too!

6 comments:

  1. LOL on the water! That's a ton! Guess it's better than drinking that much soda - you'd be a million pounds! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Matt! I'd like to point out that I think I have LB@30ty beat in the comments department- I rarely read a blog post and not comment.

    Love #4. "But you SAID..." heh heh- reminds me of a scene from What About Bob... you know the one?

    Good cop, bad cop. I like it. Kind of true, too. On Staci's blog it felt more like you were honest and confident enough to always be thoughtful and supportive, where I like to surround myself with a defensive shell of irreverence and humor.

    I think that, in reality, you have a sharp wit as much as I have true, thoughtful feelings.

    And yes- I love PYT's lipstick!

    Hope the dating is still going great!

    Caleb

    PS you are an academic. Remember my tricky LSAT question that you nailed right away? I still haven't forgiven you for that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. *imagining Matt with his crazy hair* :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Matt! I'm so flattered! I've only just seen this and it made my day :-)

    If anybody wants to have a read, pop over to http://justlikeyourmamausedtomakeit.blogspot.com - I hope you enjoy.

    Ciao for now,

    Pupa x

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so very welcome Matt!!

    Great job with the questions! This award definitely makes you work but you tackled it well.

    Really funny story about the water by the way...I may have to consider toning down my consumption

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for commenting everyone - I've been especially poor at replying but I'm going to try to return to my previous good habits from now on.

    ReplyDelete